Sunday, May 15, 2016

1.09 Minnesota Fighting Saints - WR Tyler Boyd

In the real world: The Bengals needed a possession receiver after Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu left via free agency, and landed Boyd in Round 2. This is an ideal fit for him because, according to Sigmund Bloom of footballguys.com, he doesn't have the quickness, acceleration or suddenness to be a #1 (which is AJ Green's job in Cincinnati anyway).
In the TUFF world: Minnesota's new owner is determined to strengthen the wide receiver corps and have begun doing so with Sterling Shepard (1.06) and now Boyd. 2014 first-rounder Kelvin Benjamin returns from a torn ACL this season, and 2015 first-rounder Nelson Agholor will be counted on to bounce back from a high ankle sprain. A mild surprise, though, is that the Fighting Saints did not opt for C.J. Prosise (as insurance for Thomas Rawls).

2 comments:

  1. Nice work on all this Mark. Just a few thoughts. I poked around when I took this team over and asked a few players I know that were dynasty vets for advice. The word I got back was that I could live with the RBs I had for a year and I should grab receivers and try for a few extra '17 picks since the consensus was that 2016 was a very think year for skills guys. At he time I owned the 1.03 and 1.16 this year.

    I ended up trading with Rick and my plan was to take the best receiver on my board at the 1.06 and target Dixon with the 1.09 despite the advise I'd gotten. When he went before my pick I grabbed the highest player on my board, Boyd. Rightly or wrongly I didn't see Prosise here. As things turned out the draft was an eye-opener as it became apparent that RBs are highly sought.

    Pharoh Cooper was a product of me having never drafted in anything but a live draft situation in my 36 years in FF. I thought I had my ducks in a row but obviously I didn't. I was switching from device to device and coupled with the fact that I didn't want to be the 'turtle' I let the system do the work. My intended pick was Keith Marshall. Live and learn.


    Lasco and Driskel were the best available at their positions according to my board.

    It was fun, sometimes frustrating but all in all a good learning experience. I've got two firsts and two seconds in 2017. I'll be ready for that on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I'd love to be able to take the best available player at all times--but the demand for RBs can get crazy at times (even now when "bellcow" backs are harder and harder to come by, while NFL teams pass more and run less). RBs that go in Round 4 or 5 of the NFL Draft ending up being taken in Round 1 in the TUFF Draft--that happens a lot, depending on the job situation.

      Now I feel fortunate that I took Marshall when I did. I almost overlooked him myself because he was not in the top 24 players on the spreadsheet I kept. Had Marshall not been available, I probably would have gone with DeAndre Washington.

      Yes, the TUFF Draft can be a frustrating and educational experience at the same time. And yes, 2017 is shaping up to be exciting (barring any injuries to top prospects, of course--knock on wood there aren't any).

      Good luck on the coming season. I hope you enjoy it here, and I'm sure you will. It's the best league I've ever been in.

      Delete